The Beauty of the Unexpected

May 12, 2007

I was wondering the city today in search of the Kapuzinerberg (a hill/mountain, that I wanted to summit). I left the flat with a general direction in mind, but allowed myself the freedom of discovery that is the freedom in trusting one's self and allowing one to escape from chains of time. As I ventured toward my destination, I stumbled upon a market. It was Salzburg Saturday market which is full of sensational smells; breads, meats, flowers, wines, beers, sweets. As i meandered through the market I came upon a church (possibly a cathedral). The outside of this structure was impressive, but the inside was where the beauty really lied. The wide open space with many side branches stretched a lengthy distance. The ceiling hovered high above, and made one feel as though they were a mere speck of dust on the pew. The artwork around me was interesting, but the artwork above me was fascinating. Large murals covered every inch of the ceiling, and each contained elaborate colors and minute details. Near the Tabernacle was a stairway. I descended the stair way to discover another alter, and what seemed to be an underground church. Also downstairs was a room for adoration. My imagination wondered to what this space might have been used for; maybe people secretly making there way down to celebrate their faith, maybe an old church that was merely built upon, maybe . . .. After my brief exploration, I headed out (I will be back to explore this church more when I do my day of churches).

i eventually made my way across the river, just meandering the streets. As I walked down a particular street, whose name i do not know, a stairwell caught my eye. With no sign saying stay out i decided to see where it lead. Over a hundred stair steps later, I found at church. The church was small, but adequate. As I exited i noticed the steps went on further, so I decided to follow their lead. I stopped counting steps but made to the top to discover an AMAZING view of Salzburg! It was beautiful, and totally unexpected. I soon realized that I was exactly where I had set out to be, and found it amusing that my curiosity lead me to my desires. However the best part of this discovery was yet to come. I had decided to sit a bit and enjoy the panoramic view of Salzburg, while journaling my adventures. Soon after I began noon struck and . . . (i will let my journal take it from here)

It is noon and the church bells are ringing all over the city. Each unique, but all in harmony, echoing one another. The sensation overwhelms you. The sound is panoramic, some near and others far in the distance. Dong, bong, ding. . .some sound deep, slowly chiming the hour; others chime with a quick high bing. A good five minutes of bells arose form a silent mummer that is Salzburg. Slowly each bell faded away until only the chime of the birds can be heard.

After enjoying the view I explored more of the area. Turns out there is a monastery there with grounds for walking. I explored a bit before heading back down (I different route of course, way go the same way twice?). Back in the city area I stumbled upon a gathering of people and a street band. The were a blues/swing/jazz mix, and they were quiet good. I loved to see how universal music is as the music began to take over all the onlookers (myself included). Toes began to tap, heads began to bob, and there was even a bit of shoulder action. Filled with several tunes to accompany me the rest of my journey, I strolled through Salzburg. I eventually headed back to the park, and made my way through the lower half of the area.

oh..I am getting so tired, yet there is so much still to share (and i haven't even gotten to today's (5-13) adventure) I might have to cheat you all a bit and sum up highlight from the rest of today and save today's adventures for tomorrow's blogging.

Other experiences of the 12th include:
-Getting baptised by the Austrian rain, and beaming with a huge smile as I let the rain come over me (I should note that I consciously decided not to put on my rain coat, but instead enjoy the warm rain that tickling refreshed me).

-Working out at a Salzburg health club with Ogi's mom. An interesting experience.

-Watching a European music contest with Ogi's family (it was the finals and involved a competition between European countries and their best music groups)

i think that is it. . .well I am headed to bed, but tomorrow's blog will be about my adventure in walking to Germany!

Keeping U with me where ever I go! -Jo


2 comments:

Valerie Silliman said...

Ah Jo, I am glad you found Kapuzinerberg. I love that walk. Its awesome in the snow too. There are several different paths, one of which lets you out by the river, and along the back of houses. Thanks for describing everything in such great detail. Regarding the Churches: you found the crypt. Crypts are essentially basements in churches (and castles too, according to Wikipedia) beneath the apse. They were originally used to keep relics, and as burial places. St. Peters Catherdral (Vatican City) uses its crypt for small masses, and as a crypt for some of the most important popes. Also, if you note the names of the Churches you visit, I will know exactly what you are describing. (I think this one you found is St. Peters...

AMPD said...

JO,

I HOPE IF SIGNED UP RIGHT. HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A WONDERFUL TIME. TAKE IN THE SCENERY AND EXPERIENCE FOR ALL OF US WHO CAN'T AFFORD IT RIGHT NOW (MONEY & TIME). I SKIMMED OVER YOUR PAST POSTS BUT WILL TRY TO GET A CHANCE TO READ THEM IN FULL LATER.

LLL (LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE)

AUNT ALYDA