Arriving in Salzburg

*From my travel journal

May 10, 2007
I must jump out of chronological order and begin by saying Salzburg is awe striking. As we flew over, my eyes widened and attempted to take in all the lush vegetation and the majestic mountains. Enough can not be said about the mountains, they beam with elegance and strike admirers with a childlike wonder. Stepping off the place I could not help but stop in amazement. The childlike wonder grew into an overwhelming sensation which painted a smile on my face so large it was like I had fallen in love. I couldn't help but walk as slow as possible, many times turning around so to take it all in. I eventually made my way to the luggage claim picked up my bag and met Ogi. He was warm and welcoming. After a brief exchange of names, I had to let out the excitement contained within me and tell him how beautiful his country/city is. It surprised me when he told me that he did not much care for Salzburg, as there wasn't much to do, and that he eventually hoped to move away. It makes me wonder how many of us appreciate the beauty that is around us. As the average person been have jaded by time and the everyday in such a way they can not see the beauty that surrounds them?

Ogi's place is not far from the airport (in fact it is only about a two minute drive). He lives with his parents and younger brother in a flat. The flat has an amazing view! It is something you could put on a postcard, or a broucher attracting people to come for a stay. Upon my arrival to his flat, he handed me a key and said I was welcome to anything in the house, and to come and go as I pleased. After getting a tour of the flat and contacting people back home to ensure them I was safe in Salzburg, I headed out the door. The quick departure was based on two factors: 1. I wanted to explore and 2. I wanted to get my body set on Salzburg time and thus going out provided a method of avoiding the most desired nap.

I wasn't really sure where to go, so I just started going and kept my basic orientation about me. I wondered around and found a cemetery and thought of my Dad as he enjoy exploring cemeteries (I hope that doesn't make you sound morbid, Dad). I was impressed by how much care is poured into each grave, each having its own flower bed. Further there were no dead flowers insight, only the half dead in the trash pile. There were many people working on these flower beds (working on them as an individual in the States would their garden). After the grave yard I strolled down the main street toward the airport, with the initial intent of walking to the mountain that rest behind it, but as the main road curved I decided to curve with it as I was still getting to know the city. I walked for a good 2.5 hour, allowing myself to get lost as I had the time to find my way back home. As I was walking up to the flat, Ogi was pulling out and asked what I had been up to. I explained my day and the route I had taken. Ogi then responded by telling me there isn't much out the way I went, and offered me a ride to old town. I took him up on his offer and explored old town for a while before heading back to the flat. In total I walked over four hours straight. I relaxed the rest of the night, and went to bed quiet early.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo,

I didn't realize that you were already in Europe. How ar eyou adjusting to the time change. I have heard that Salzburg is wonderful. Tommy told me that Austria is beatiful. He had some great pictures.

Take care,
Love,
Rae'J

Anonymous said...

Jo,
Wanted to say hello and give you positive feedback on your blogging to keep you filling all of us in on your adventures.

I really appreciate the wonder, description, discovery and vibrant life that blooms out of your blogs! Keep it up, please. Even if you can't atleast fill to exhaustion your journal and share parts upon your return.

How's the climate there? What are the local characters like? Have fun!
Nick